The evolution of Horseshoe Bay Farms starts in an unexpected way – with the creation of a Property Development entity called United Fruit Growers Company. The company was formed to develop a piece of property north of Murphy Park. The Board of Governors included two members from a prominent Midwestern lumbering family, the Murphy’s.
Land acquisition started around 1914 and the entity acquired several hundred acres on the Green Bay shore front and up on the bluff overlooking Green Bay. The land was cleared, which included the removal and sale of remaining Horseshoe Bay Settlement buildings, trees were planted, a large dock constructed, and a wonderful bathing beach was perfected. In keeping with the company name, over 100 acres of orchards were planted in near ideal soil on the bluff overlooking the development.
The plan was to develop a private Country Club and summer home development. The Club would provide swimming, fishing, boating, tennis, a baseball field and, most importantly, a golf course. Over 8,300 shore feet were platted into lots. Sales offices were established in Sturgeon Bay & Green Bay. The plan was to sell an initial 200 lots to get the venture off the ground and build the golf course.
A guest house for prospects and home owners, Cherry Lodge, was built and Frank Murphy constructed his summer home on the property in 1916. A spectacular clubhouse followed.
Horseshoe Bay Country Club
A promotional brochure extolling the benefits of becoming a Horseshoe Bay Country Club member was developed, with pictures and a sales pitch intended to attract discriminating buyers. Excerpts from the brochure follow.